NCSG staff are actively engaged in planning and urban management issues around the world. NCSG entered a research partnership in 2019 with the International Center for Local and Regional Development (ICLRD).
Gerrit Knaap, NCSG director, continues to conduct research on planning systems in Europe. Following his sabbatical at the University College, Dublin, (UCD) Gerrit coedited the book, Planning for States and Nation-States, which examined the performance of regional planning in Europe and the United States. As a continuing visiting member of the UCD faculty, Gerrit is currently working with European colleagues on a comparative analysis of territorial governance and spatial planning systems in Europe.
International Faculty and Staff
- Planning for States and Nation-States in the US and Europe: A Conference that Produced a book on planning at the state and nation-state level in Europe and the United States.
- Comparative Analysis of Territorial Governance and Spatial Planning Systems in Europe: An update of the Compendium of European Spatial Planning Systems.
- Equitable Cities: A comparative analysis of innovative land use policies in North America, Europe, and Latin America
- Reforming the Planning System in Israel –A Case Study of Maryland as input into a major overhaul of the top-down Israeli planning system.
Sample Research and Papers
- Nedovic-Budic, Zorica, Gerrit-Jan Knaap, Harutyun Shabhumyan, Brendan Williams, and Aleksandar Slaev, 2016, Measuring Urban Form at the Community Scale: Case Study of Dublin, Ireland, Cities, 55: 148-64.
- Knaap, Gerrit-Jan, Zorica Nedovic-Budic, and Armando Carbonnel, ed.s,, Planning for States and Nation States in the U.S. and Europe, Cambridge, MA: Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, 2015.